Public Liability Insurance

I usually full Public Liability Insurance for visits and walks  - this has been suspended during the Covid pandemic so  please contact me for more details.

DBS Certificate (previously known as CRB check or ISA)

The rules regarding CRB have changed and although I have a clean record, up to date CRBs are not available for self-employed individuals like myself.

I have been in touch with the Disclosure and Barring Service by e-mail and this is the response I received:

“Dear Mr McGuire,

Thank you for your email enquiry regarding DBS certificate for your work visiting schools.

You cannot apply for a Standard or Enhanced DBS check as an individual. This is because we can only do a check when there is a third party making a suitability decision.

For working in a school, either the school or an agency would be deciding if you are suitable for the role. They would need to submit the check on your behalf to DBS.

If you work for an organisation that has asked you to get a DBS check. They should be able to give you more advice. If there is no organisation, you should speak to the Governing Body for the sector you work in.

Standard or Enhanced applications need to be submitted by one of the following:

·         A registered employer

·         A governing body

·         A licensing decision maker

·         An Umbrella Body


If your role visiting schools is eligible, for a Standard or Enhanced DBS check you can ask an Umbrella Body to submit the application for you.

There is an Umbrella Body Directory on our website. You can use this to find a suitable Umbrella Body.

If there is no eligibility for a Standard or Enhanced check, you can make an application for a Basic check. You can find out more about this on our website here.

Basic checks are only for roles in England and Wales.

In closing, I trust this answers your query.

Please note your DBS Customer Services Correspondence Number is in the Subject line of this email which is the first 9 digits.  Please use this reference when corresponding with the DBS via email or letter as it helps us to associate your correspondence quickly and to provide the best possible service.  [This is only for correspondence and is not your Form/Ebulk/CRM/Subscription number which relate to your disclosure application.]

Yours sincerely,

Customer Services
The Disclosure and Barring Service
PO Box 165, Liverpool, L69 3JD
Call Centre: 03000 200 190